Thread: rosacea

Default rosacea

Any tips for dealing with Rosacea. My mom has been having a terrible time with it. I normally lean towards using natural items for myself and my kids, and I'd like to find a natural solution for her as well. Any ideas? Thanks

**Zenisha Sherchan** Female

I don't think there is any definite cure for rosacea. Treatment just helps rosacea control and prevent it from getting worse. All you can do is identify and avoid those triggering factors that cause rosacea flare-ups.

But anyway i found a good source for you:
    http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/trea.../a/Rosacea.htm
    Natural Treatments for Rosacea

Conventional treatments for rosacea include avoiding triggers that worsen rosacea symptoms and medication. Laser therapy may be suggested to reduce flushing and the appearance of blood vessels. The following are some of the most frequently used natural treatments for rosacea.
    1) Chrysanthellum Indicum Cream

A cream containing an extract of the herb Chrysanthellum indicum has been explored for the treatment of rosacea. Compounds in the extract appear to strengthen capillaries. A large study involving 246 people with rosacea examined the safety and effectiveness of a cream containing one percent Chrysanthellum indicum extract (applied twice a day) or placebo.

After 12 weeks, the Chrysanthellum indicum cream significantly improved rosacea symptoms, including facial redness, compared to placebo. Adverse reactions were mild and did not differ compared with the placebo group.
    2) Green Tea Cream

One small study, presented as an abstract at the 2005 American Academy of Dermatology annual meeting, found evidence that a green tea cream may help people with rosacea.

The study involved 60 women aged 25 to 50 years. All had red bumps and pustules, 20 had redness, and 17 had visible blood vessels. Half of the women applied the green tea cream containing 2% polyphenone) twice a day and the other half applied the placebo cream.

After four weeks, women using the green tea cream had a significant reduction in the number of red bumps and pustules compared to those applying the placebo cream. The small study was 75 percent funded by a company, Syed Skincare Inc., owned by Dr. Syed. Larger, independently-funded studies are needed.
    3) Niacinamide Cream

Niacinamide, a form of vitamin B3, has been used topically for rosacea. It is thought to improve the skin barrier, improve the skin’s moisture level, and reduce inflammation. One study looked at a niacinamide-containing facial moisturizer (applied twice daily) or a placebo moisturizer in 50 people with rosacea. After four weeks, the niacinamide-containing moisturizer was found to improve the skin barrier. Niacinamide taken orally has also been explored for rosacea.
    4) Licorice

Another topical treatment used for rosacea is the herb licorice. One study examined the effect of a topical licorice skin regimen in 62 people with mild to moderate facial redness. There was significant improvement in redness at the four and eight week assessments.
    5) Digestive Enzymes

Some people with rosacea have indigestion, especially after eating fatty foods. One study found a deficiency of the pancreatic enzyme lipase, an enzyme that helps to digest fat.

When the rosacea patients in the study were given pancreatic enzyme supplements with meals, their symptoms of indigestion and rosacea both improved.
    6) B Vitamins

Inadequate riboflavin, caused by insufficient dietary intake or poor absorption in the digestive tract, may be associated with rosacea.

One study found that Demodex folliculorum mites, which are normally found on the skin but more in larger numbers on the skin of rosacea patients, are more likely to affect the skin of animals in riboflavin. An increased number of mites may cause blockage of the pores from inflammation or may allow for the growth of bacteria on the skin.
    7) Azelaic Acid Cream

Azelaic acid cream is derived from wheat, rye and barley. It appears to have antimicrobial action that slows the growth of skin bacteria and appears to be effective at reducing skin redness and papules and pustules associated with rosacea.

One study conducted by the University of British Columbia found that azelaic acid 20 percent cream was as effective as topical metronidazole 0.75 percent cream in reducing the number of papules and pustules on the skin. Azelaic acid also appeared to be slightly more effective at reducing redness.

In addition, overall improvement was rated by physicians as higher with azelaic acid. Both creams, however, showed equal improvement in the symptoms of dryness, burning, telangiectasia and itching. The most common side effect of the azelaic acid cream was stinging on application, but the patients still had a better overall impression of azelaic acid than the metronidazole cream.

Besides stinging, side effects of azelaic acid may include lightening of darkened areas of skin, although the skin does not appear to lighten beyond its normal color.
    8) Food Intolerances

Some alternative practitioners have found clinically that certain foods may be associated with rosacea symptoms. Foods may cause the release of chemicals that dilate blood vessels and cause flushing.

An inexpensive and effective way of identifying food intolerance is through an elimination and challenge diet, which involves removing allergenic foods from the diet for one to two weeks then systematically introducing them into the diet to isolate the foods that cause reactions. Supervision by a health practitioner is recommended.
    9) Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar taken orally is used as a home remedy for rosacea. It is thought to stimulate the release of digestive enzymes and help normalize the bacterial balance in the intestines. Consult a health practitioner before trying apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is available in liquid and tablet form. There have been reports linking use of the tablets with esophageal injury.
    Other Natural Treatments for Rosacea

Aloe
    Burdock
    Chamomile
    Betaine hydrochoride
    Red clover
    Rose hips
    Selenium
    B vitamins
    Zinc

Have you tried Emu Oil?

Emu oil has been shown to be effective for all types of skin rashes and Rosacea.
    Emu Oil is -
    * Anti Inflammatory
    * Anti Bacterial
    * Non Irritation
    * Safe for sensitive skin
    * 100% Natural

Banned
    **kevinkrieger** Male

Green tea help decrease the redness.

I have used pure chimp natural super cream to have no rosacea.
    Highly recommended to use!

**Sarah Grant** Female

Rosacea can be reduced if patient take lot of fluids and have green diet as much as possible.

**marclewis** Male

Herbalists, nutritionists, naturopaths and chiropractors may also be safe effective herbal remedies.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful