Greetings all!

I am a 50-year old, otherwise healthy, male who is currently paying for years of poor solar hygiene in my youth. I have been going to a dermatologist 3 or 4 times a year for about a dozen years now...mostly getting actinic keratoses frozen off, but I have had a couple basals or squamouses cut out and biopsied over the years, and I did have one melanoma about 8 years ago that was thankfully caught and removed at a very early stage. My relatively new dermatologist recommended I try to get rid of some of the sun damaged skin on my face and neck with a course of fluoroplex 1% applied just twice weekly for not more than 8 weeks (he didn't specify the minimum amount of weeks).

He seemed to imply that that dosage wouldn't have as HORRIFIC consequences as other doses (I think the normal dosage is twice-a-DAY), but before I start this, I'd like to know if this is likely to be true. My Dad and my mother-in-law had horrible experiences with Efudex, and I have seen photos of fluoroplex patients on the web that scare the heck out of me. Is a twice-a-week, for 6-8 weeks, regimen of fluoroplex 1% appreciably more tolerable than heavier doses (or other products, like Efudex)? Or are those hideous photos I see when I search for 'efudex' or 'fluoroplex' in Google images what I can realistically expect?

Thanks!