Default What are the treatments options available for excessive Sweating?

Its summer again and I hate it. I’m heavy sweater and it worries me a lot, especially during office. I know everyone sweats during hot season but for me its too much, and I also have bad underarm odor. I do bath twice daily but it is not helping me. Any procedures or treatments that can be done to fight excessive sweating and underarm odor?

Thank you

**Deepak Ghimire** Male

Welcome back to the forum sunima. Your problem is very common problem and I can understand it can be very distressing. Don’t worry there are solutions to every problems. However, before undergoing treatments you must first make sure it is not due to underlying systemic condition. Usually localized sweating of head, underarms, palms, groin or feet etc. doesn’t mean it’s due to underlying disease. Systemic condition may cause generalized sweating and can only be reduced after the condition is treated, while localized sweating can be managed in various ways.

There are several treatments available for localized hyperhidrosis but topical agents containing aluminum chloride are the first that can be tried. When this doesn’t work another option is Iontophoresis. For excesive sweating of hands and soles Iontophoresis treatment might be the better option.

If these agents still don’t work then you may give Botox/Dysport a try (good for underarms). Botox temporarily blocks the sweat glands which are responsible for excessive perspiration. Botox can help stop sweating for at-least 4-6 months and the treatment may have to be repeated.

Another new option is miraDry which is better for underarm hyperhidrosis. Miradry is a relatively newer non-invasive procedure that uses microwave technology to destroy the sweat glands. Usually 2 treatments done 3 months apart is sufficient for effective and long-lasting result.

Another procedure for permanent relief of sweating from underarms is endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy. But it is not usually recommended.

Banned
    **kevinkrieger** Male

Only 4 treatment options available for excessive sweating:
    Iontophoresis
    Botulinum toxin
    Anticholinergic drugs
    surgery

Sweating is a necessary physiological mechanism, and under certain conditions, such as physical exertion or illness, it can become excessive. However, it is not necessarily hyperhidrosis, which is defined as nonphysiological, excessive sweating that is not caused by physical activity and occurs symmetrically in a localized fashion. In either case, it can have a significant negative impact on a patient’s quality of life, including difficulty with work, school, and social relationships. As a result, patients often shy away from situations that require shaking hands or other forms of close physical contact with other people.

**marclewis** Male

Avoid spicy foods and caffeine. Also see your doctor for prescription of oral medications and other treatment options.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful