Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is botox?

Default What is botox?

I have heard people say that most of the hollywood stars who are in their 40's and 50's have undergone botox treatment.. Is it a surgery that is performed on their skin or is it applied topically??

**Zenisha Sherchan** Female

It is a toxin produced by bacterium Clostridium botulinum.In larger quantity it causes serious paralysis and botulism , but small quantity applied on muscle causes muscle to relaxed thus removing contraction of muscle ( ie wrinkle of muscle ).

I have seen some of my mom's friends who've had botox and it really does make their skin tighter. The wrinkles are gone, but new ones appear after the procedure. It makes one look a bit fake though because their cheeks and forehead are stiff and unmoving most of the time.

Botox is a purified protein that works by blocking overactive nerve impulses that trigger excessive muscle contractions or glandular activity. The effect is temporary and lasts from approximately one to six months, depending on the individual patient and indication.

I agree with mimico that it can look a bit fake if not done right, so make sure you use a clinic with a lot of experience. There are other alternatives like facial fillers that are a bit more expensive, but last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by avinav View Post
    What about anti-wrinkle creams? like Wrinkle Erase?

**** Male

botox actually contains the most potent naturally occurring toxin on the planet. A matchhead size of pure botulinism toxin has enough power to wipe out the world ... kind of scary if you think about it :-)

There are some patented compounds such as arigeline. Arigeline, a peptide, is non-toxic and no side effects have been reported. It actually causes facial muscles to relax and thus reduces the appearance of facial lines and wrinkles. It can be applied topically and is absorbed by the skin. It wil probably take a bit longer for Arigeline to work....say 2 - 4 weeks. It is not as dramatic and quick as Botox injection. But it certainly complements patients who had Botox treatments.

**** Male

GABA is also a great way to temporarily reduce wrinkles. I am currently using a product that has GABA in it and it does wonders for wrinkles and puffiness around my eyes. Great alternative and much cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla77 View Post
    GABA is also a great way to temporarily reduce wrinkles. I am currently using a product that has GABA in it and it does wonders for wrinkles and puffiness around my eyes. Great alternative and much cheaper
    Botox works to tighten the skin & reduce wrinkles. It works but you have to continue using it or else the wrinkles will come back.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast