Default FDA Approves Eyelash-Boosting Drug

Dec. 26, 2008 -- The FDA has approved Latisse, the first drug to promote eyelash growth, according to Allergan, the company that makes Latisse.

Latisse, which will be available by prescription starting in the first quarter of 2009, contains the active ingredient of the glaucoma drug Lumigan, which is also made by Allergan.

Eyelash growth is a known side effect of Lumigan. But Lumigan and Latisse are used differently. Lumigan is an eyedrop, and Latisse gets dabbed along the lash line on the upper eyelids to promote longer, thicker, darker lashes.

Allergan states that "Latisse users can expect to experience longer, fuller, and darker eyelashes in as little as eight weeks, with full results in 16 weeks." If Latisse is stopped, eyelashes will gradually return to their previous appearance as new eyelashes grow in.

Allergan also notes that Latisse may cause darkening of the eyelid skin, which may be reversible, and it "may also cause increased brown pigmentation of the colored part of the eye, which is likely to be permanent."

Latisse may also promote hair growth in other skin areas that it frequently touches, so Allergan recommends blotting it off any skin other than the upper eyelid's lash line to prevent that side effect.

According to Allergan, Latisse was well-tolerated in its clinical trials, with the most common side effects being eye redness, itchy eyes, and skin hyperpigmentation.

Earlier this month, an FDA advisory panel recommended that the FDA approve Latisse and also recommended further studies in certain groups of patients, such as young patients and people who lost their eyelashes to chemotherapy.

Source page

**Cher** Female

I've been using this product for a while now. My eyelashes are a little longer, especially when I use mascara. But, my girlfriends who have been using it are having to trim their eyelashes. They started with another product before this one was approved so they've been using it for almost one year. I guess I need to give it a little more time.

**** Female

what's the difference of using this and with using mascara treatment products? is it really necessary to use a drug just to have longer lashes? just wondering

**Brenda** Female

some people have very short eye lashes. my daughter who had the most amazing eyelashes i have ever seen, they would curl up around your finger over half way and this was when she was 8 yrs old. she used to play with them ! when she was a teen she had a high fever from a serious ear infection and in her delierium pulled her eyelashes from her eyes in one swift pull!! now instead of having beautiful eyelashes all the time they fall out all at once and she would welcome something to make them grow back faster.

Now that Latisse has been out a couple of years, I have to say that it really does seem to work for woman who have short lashes, or just general problems growing their natural eyelashes. I own an eyelash extensions out in Vegas, and actually have reccomended this product to lots of women.

The key here is that the product must be obtained by a medical doctor, and it must be applied daily around the natural lash area. Latisse does mention that there is a risk of discoloration of the iris area, but in all my experience, I've never seen anyone have his problem. I had one customer who was using Latisse for about 8 weeks, and she had fantastic results. I say this knowing that this cosmetic product actually draws customers away from my business, but the truth is it really does work. Just make sure you have a talk with your doctor before you consider using it.

**Anna wallen** Female

I want to have big eyelashes.

Does anyone know what the active ingredient(s) is/are? Ylang Ylang essential oil is also supposed to promote hair growth.

**Ruby Jackson** Female

Latisse works great for eyelashes.
    You will see the most dramatic changes in a couple of weeks with the serums and then following with the homemade remedies like vaseline and castol oil.
    Last edited by Dr.Saiyan; 12-13-2012 at 04:11 PM.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful