Default what causes patches of red, dry, flakey skin on the face?

i have certain areas on my face (in between my eyebrows, and on the sides of my nose) that feel dry, scaly, and tight. i don't know how to describe it except the skin is so dry and irritated, it looks red and it eventually flakes off. this happens CONSTANTLY, I'm always shedding skin on those areas and it's really gross looking. I've tried to moisturize the areas with a variety of things, what seemed to work the best was olive oil, it would appease the condition quite well some days but on others the skin would still be flaky, and even when it doesn't flake it still looks kinda red and feels leathery compared to the rest of my skin.
    also, the severity of the condition fluctuates all the time, currently the left side of my nose is HORRIBLE, it is so red and dry it burns, and it's flaking like crazy but the right side is fine and so is the area between eyebrows.. it used to be the right side that was the worst, and a while back in between the eyebrows was the worst.. it keeps changing.
    this has been going on for a few months now, and it used ro be only between the eyebrows.. anyone have any idea what this could be and how to get rid of it? :(

Hi Leslie! Welcome to the forum! From your description your condition seems like seborrheic dermatitis to me. It is caused by overgrowth of yeast which is normal inhabitant of our skin. they are sebum loving thus distributed in seborrheic areas like in between eyebrows, nasolabial folds, chest etc. this condition is common during winter season.

For treatment the area should washed properly with soap free cleansers and apply cream or lotion with or without the combination of corticosteroids (mild hydrocortisone in facial areas with inflammation) and antifungal like ketoconazole, cotrimazole, selenium sulphide, ciclopirox, sulphur etc in the affected area twice daily for 2 weeks continued according to necessity for next two weeks.

It would also be better if you could post a clear picture or consult a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and continue with the treatment. If you have any enquiry feel free to ask us we will be happy to hear from you.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by saiyan View Post
    Hi Leslie! Welcome to the forum! From your description your condition seems like seborrheic dermatitis to me. It is caused by overgrowth of yeast which is normal inhabitant of our skin. they are sebum loving thus distributed in seborrheic areas like in between eyebrows, nasolabial folds, chest etc. this condition is common during winter season.

For treatment the area should washed properly with soap free cleansers and apply cream or lotion with or without the combination of corticosteroids (mild hydrocortisone in facial areas with inflammation) and antifungal like ketoconazole, cotrimazole, selenium sulphide, ciclopirox, sulphur etc in the affected area twice daily for 2 weeks continued according to necessity for next two weeks.

It would also be better if you could post a clear picture or consult a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and continue with the treatment. If you have any enquiry feel free to ask us we will be happy to hear from you.
    thank you so much! I've been reading about seborrheic dermatitis some more and it definitely sounds like that's probably what my problem is. I'm going to try the antifungal treatment and see if that gets rid of the issue. thanks again for your help!

You are welcome leslie, do let us know how it goes. We are excited to see ur updates on your condition...

Banned
    **kevinkrieger** Male

It is important to stay hydrated. Watery fruits and veggies can also help your hydration levels.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

About DermaTalk

DermaTalk is an Skin Care Advice forum and message board dedicated to people for sharing Skin related issues and experiences with community members and get suggestions from expert.

Quick Links

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Stay Connected

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed