Your skin is delicate and highly susceptible to the sun’s harmful rays. Fortunately, your skin doesn’t have to take the brunt of the heat during the summer season. There are several steps you can take to stay safe from the sun and avoid sunburn, even if you’re a person who loves to lounge outside in the peak sun-hours of the day. A combination of wardrobe alterations, blocking agents, and a daily skin care regimen is your best bet to achieving healthy skin.

1. Drink plenty of Water. This is the easiest tip to achieving healthy skin, which many people forget about. Your body tends to lose a lot of water during the summer, so it’s important to replenish your hydration levels with water. Aim for eight 8-ounce glasses of water. Water can also be found in fresh fruits, which can be a tasty summer treat.

2. Preload on the sunscreen. Before going on a beach vacation, be sure to preload on your sunscreen. For two to three weeks prior to your vacation, apply sunscreen everyday to build up the stratum corneum, which makes your skin less likely to burn.

3. Treat sunburns fast. It’s important to get inflammation down as quickly as possible to minimize the damage to the skin and sooth redness. Try soaking a clean cloth in a bowl of ice and skim milk and applying it to the affected area for five to ten minutes. Take an ibuprofen or aspirin and apply hydrocortisone cream. Here are some home remedies for sunburn: Click Here

4. Exfoliate your face daily. Exfoliation is essential for beautiful skin, especially in the summer. Daily exfoliation helps to shed dead skin cells and boost blood circulation to the face. Pick up a cosmetic scrub at the drug store or create your own natural blend.

5. Fix your uneven tan. If you’ve suffered from an uneven tan, there is a natural solution to even out your skin tone. Combine gram flour with plain yogurt and a few drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply the ingredients to your face and allow it to sit until it dries. The citrus properties of lemons are effective in removing the tan.

Remember that sunblock is essential when going outdoors, especially during the summer season. Everyone needs to use it, no matter your skin color, as everyone is susceptible to UV rays from the sun. The American Academy of Dermatologists (AAD) recommends using a broad-based, waterproof sunblock with an SPF of at least 30. Wearing wide-brimmed hats and breezy cover-ups can also help you keep your skin safe from the sun without losing style points.

1 Comment

1. Vivian Smith
    June 9, 2012 at 5:04 am

I find that skin dries out really quickly in the sun, even if I use sunscreen. I find that what helps me is to buy sunscreen that contains natural moisturizers. But even with this my facial skin still seems to dry out quite quickly, so then I moisturize twice as much in the summer as I do in the colder months and this seems to work for me!

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *