Default Jojoba and sunscreen

Hi,

I want to start using jojoba oil as a moisturiser as I'm concerned about all the chemicals in creams and other stuff I put on my face, I want to simplify to basic pure ingredients. The only concern I have is that I have to wear a very high SPF sunscreen every day as I have very sun-sensitive skin. Does anybody know if I can apply jojoba before the sunscreen or will it stop the sunscreen sinking in or being effective?

(I am aware that sunscreen is full of chemicals, but there is not much I can do about that and I figure cutting out most other chemicals will be better than continuing to use lots of chemical products)

Thanks for your help.
    x

**Brenda** Female

just wait until the jojoba oil has been absorbed by your skin(about 20minutes) then you can apply your sunscreen.

Depending on the sunscreen you are using you may want to use the oil in the evening. The sunscreen may have enough moisturizers in it to be used alone.

Be sure to spritz your face with water before applying any oil to your face as it helps the oil absorb into the skin.

Don't get so caught up in a very high SPF number. The main thing you need to look at is how well your sunscreen protects across the full UV spectrum. The trend in skin care is people are starting to wake up to the negative side of chemical sunscreens. Unless it is applied often enough, every 2 hours or so, even indoors, the chemicals usually break down and lose their effectiveness.
    A much better option is to use a sunscreen with a high % of zinc oxide. Great ones to look for are Burnout, Eco, Purple Prairie (for the body, not face).
    Jojoba oil works great under zinc oxide sunscreens.

That is so true Agelessone. A broad spectrum sunscreen is a must every day even if it isn't sunny outside. Those rays come through clouds winter and summer. I highest SS I use is a 20 without chemicals.

Thanks for the jojoba advice, can't wait to start using it!

And with regards to the sunscreen issue, to be honest I am just as wary about zinc oxide as I am about chemical sunscreens, a quick search produced this:

"Zinc oxide is a mineral that provides complete UVB/UVA protection, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is considered a safe sunscreen ingredient. Zinc oxide is the only FDA approved sunscreen for use on children under 6 months of age. However, the regular form of zinc oxide leaves a strong white residue on the skin. To create a clear skin product rather than one that leaves a white residue, zinc oxide is now made in the form of nano-size particles. There is growing concern about the toxicity of nanoparticles, and this concern has initiated a world-wide effort to study the skin absorption and phototoxicity of nanoparticles of preparations used in sunscreens and cosmetics. Recent research shows that nanoparticles can cross the human placenta, possibly exposing the developing fetus to the tiny materials. At this time, the safety of nanoparticles has not been proven, so caution is prudent, especially when pregnant or using these products on children."

So while it may be safer, it is by no means certain, and I would rather stick to a sunscreen that I am happy to wear every single day because it is a nice product, rather than one that I will rarely use because it leaves a white residue on my face. I know that is vain, but I know that I will not use a product on a daily basis that I hate. I love the suncreen I have right now, it sinks in beautifully and leaves me with soft, non-greasy skin.

Like I said, I know suncreen is full of awful chemicals, but if I can eradicate almost all other chemicals from my daily cosmetic routine then I will feel better about using this one less-than-great product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bialor View Post
    Thanks for the jojoba advice, can't wait to start using it!

And with regards to the sunscreen issue, to be honest I am just as wary about zinc oxide as I am about chemical sunscreens, a quick search produced this:

"Zinc oxide is a mineral that provides complete UVB/UVA protection, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is considered a safe sunscreen ingredient. Zinc oxide is the only FDA approved sunscreen for use on children under 6 months of age. However, the regular form of zinc oxide leaves a strong white residue on the skin. To create a clear skin product rather than one that leaves a white residue, zinc oxide is now made in the form of nano-size particles. There is growing concern about the toxicity of nanoparticles, and this concern has initiated a world-wide effort to study the skin absorption and phototoxicity of nanoparticles of preparations used in sunscreens and cosmetics. Recent research shows that nanoparticles can cross the human placenta, possibly exposing the developing fetus to the tiny materials. At this time, the safety of nanoparticles has not been proven, so caution is prudent, especially when pregnant or using these products on children."

So while it may be safer, it is by no means certain, and I would rather stick to a sunscreen that I am happy to wear every single day because it is a nice product, rather than one that I will rarely use because it leaves a white residue on my face. I know that is vain, but I know that I will not use a product on a daily basis that I hate. I love the suncreen I have right now, it sinks in beautifully and leaves me with soft, non-greasy skin.

Like I said, I know suncreen is full of awful chemicals, but if I can eradicate almost all other chemicals from my daily cosmetic routine then I will feel better about using this one less-than-great product.
    The sunscreens I mentioned above are non-nano zinc oxide. They leave little to no whitening. http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011suns...in-sunscreens/

I use Lotions with sunscreens during the day...and if I go anywhere, an additional Facial sun block. Also using Lotions with Alpha-Hydroxyl Acid - mostly at night. I alternate my creams...as I am addicted to them. I just can't settle for just ONE. Jojoba oil is very similar to sebum, the oils secreted on human skin that keeps it moist. Overproduction of sebum can be problematic but jojoba oil is suitable even for sensitive skin. It can be used as a light sunscreen, combed through dry hair as a leave-in conditioner and hair sunscreen, too.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful