Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with brittle nails

My nails are brittle. The skin around them cracks a lot. Also the area below them has turned a bit black. How should I care for my nails?

**Deepak Ghimire** Male

This kind of nail problem indicates either poor health or bad eating habits that leads to low level of zinc and iron or there could be a possibility of some kind of nail infection which is causing darkening and cracking of the skin around the nails.

It is important to consult some physician for this problem to rule out any thyroid problems too.. As a home remedy, immerse your nails in lukewarm olive oil for 10 minutes and then massage them for another 10 minutes. Take care of your diet. A diet rich in calcium, proteins,Zine and iron..

Thanks for this post! I don't have brittle nails but the skin around my nails always has the eczema look. Plus, I still bite my nails a lot. So I have the ugliest nails ever and I'm always ashamed to get a manicure. I do eat a lot of calcium-rich food as well as protein, so I'm thinking that perhaps it is zinc and iron that I need more. I'll definitely look into getting supplements.

Cathy30, I feel you are missing something in your daily diet, may be vitamin C. so, include citrus fruit like orange, vegetables in your diet. Also, do regular pedicure and rub almond oil over nail and cuticle to get over cracked skin. If problem persists, call on your doctor.

oh this might be due to pregnancy..as i had just delivered baby few months back..doctors prescribed me some medications and the condition is improving now..thanks for your help.

If you have brittle nails, moisturizing frequently will help. You can find hand lotions and creams designed to help strengthen nails. Moisturize after you wash your hands, get out of the pool, wash the dishes, or any time your hands have been exposed to water.
    Get more tips for brittle nails by visiting this link;

Onychoschizia or splitting of the fingernails is a common problem seen by dermatologists. The term onychoschizia includes splitting, brittle, soft or thin nails. Onychoschizia is more common in women.

Only very rarely are internal disease or vitamin deficiencies the reason (iron deficiency is the most common). One tip is that if the fingernails split, but the toenails are strong, then an external factor is the cause. Basically brittle nails can be divided into dry and brittle (too little moisture) and soft and brittle (often too much moisture).

CLICK HERE TO SEE LARGER VIEWThe usual cause is repeated wetting and drying of the fingernails. This makes them dry and brittle. This is often worse in low humidity and in the winter (dry heat). The best treatment is to apply lotions containing alpha-hydroxy acids or lanolin containing lotions such as "Elon" (by the "Dartmouth" company) to the nails after first soaking nails in water for 5 minutes.

Wearing gloves when performing household chores that involve getting the hands wet is very helpful in preventing brittle nails. Cotton lined rubber gloves can be purchased in stores.

If soft, consider that the nails may be getting too much moisture or being damaged by chemicals such as detergents, cleaning fluids and nail polish removers (the acetone containing removers are somewhat worse than acetone free). Some feel that once a week application of clear nail prep once a week may help. Nail polishes with nylon fibers in them may add strength.

Be gentle to you nails. Shape and file the nails with a very fine file and round the tips in a gentle curve. Daily filing of snags or irregularities helps to prevent further breakage or splitting. Avoid metal instruments on the nail surface to push back the cuticle. If the nails are "buffed" do this in the same direction as the nail grows and not in a "back and forth" motion because this can cause nail splitting.

Biotin (a vitamin) taken by mouth is beneficial in some people. Get the "Biotin ultra" 1 mg. size as it also comes as much smaller pills and take 2 or 3 a day. It takes at least 6 months, but does really help at least 1/3 of the time. Do not take this if you are pregnant. Calcium, colloidal minerals, and/or gelatin my help, but have not been shown to help as reliably as Biotin.

Default Help with brittle nails

Vegetable oil can help replace the moisture lost by frequent exposure to water. Just use a cotton swab to brush vegetable oil on each fingernail, both on top and on the underside. Then, massage the oil into your nails. Repeat this treatment three or four times every day. The oil will add much-need moisture to your brittle nails, and the massage will improve blood circulation in that area.

Brittle fingernails are a condition that people of all ages and genders can experience. Fortunately, there are several methods to deal with brittle nails and restore them to a healthy and strong state.
    One of the first things to consider if you have brittle nails is your daily routine. People who have their hands in water several times a day are particularly susceptible to problems with fingernails. Even washing dishes by hand several times a day can lead to this condition. The solution is to cover the hands with rubber gloves. These gloves can be purchased at any supermarket or drugstore, and will effectively protect the nails from absorbing large amounts of water during the course of the daily routine. For individuals who perform tasks that require the hands to be in water for extended periods, consider wearing a thin pair of cotton gloves underneath the rubber gloves. The cotton will absorb and perspiration from the hands and prevent the moisture from collecting around the nails.

Of the several high end retailers of beauty products in London, I personally feel Sakare the best out there. It exquisite range of products is unmatched and some its items
    Like the Nail Kit are really easy on the pocket. Of all the products that I tried, I personally like the Gentle facial toner as the best.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast