Default How can I get rid of my acne for good?

Hey everyone,

I've been having breakouts since I was a teenager (I'm 24 now) and over the past year I've become much more interested in trying to manage my acne. My acne has never been severe, but it has been consistent. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a face care routine that works. If someone can shed some light on how I can improve my face care routine, it would be greatly appreciated. I am a male with sensitive skin, in case that is important. Here are the products I currently use:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
    Sea Breeze Sensitive Skin Astringent
    Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

I have been using these products twice daily for two weeks. Also, I exfoliate once a week and drink 7 or 8 cups of water a day. I think my acne has actually been getting worse since I began this routine. I noticed a slight improvement in my forehead at first (my forehead has always been the worst), but then the acne seemed to increase after a few days. Here are a few other unsuccessful methods I have tried:

Wash with water only (twice daily, sometimes with oxy pads)
    Soap in the morning, water at night
    Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash (sometimes with moisturizer)
    Nivia For Men Moisturizing Face Wash

I've tried just about everything, but I am at a loss of what to do next. I'll stick to my current routine for now, but is there any way I can improve this routine? Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a pleasant day!

**RX Skin Therapy** Female

Hi Anthony! You're doing the right thing by sticking to a regimen, but the products you're using seem to not be cooperating with your skin. And that's okay, it happens. I honestly think we can help you. Cetaphil is a very popular cleanser, but the ingredients in it are not ones we'd recommend for severe acne treatment. Look for a cleanser with salicylic acid, which clears clogged pores, but also tea tree oil, which are natural anti-microbials and are known for their anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Your face sounds like it's inflamed. Aloe is another ingredient to look for in your products because it soothes inflamed skin. We do carry a clarifying wash with these ingredients. You can read more about it at [ Link Under review]

We understand sticking to a regimen can be hard work, but we really think you could benefit from our blemish skin therapy line. Of course, if you any additional questions, please let us know. We'd love to help you!

**Amy Watson** Female

Hi Anthony,

Well to set things apart, it is not lifestyle choices that are causing your pimples. The areas that are causing you grief is the T section (this is the most oily part of your face).

Because you are young, your pimples are caused be hormones.

My best suggestion is that you go to the chemist and pick up a couple of different brand of face cleaners.
    Different products work for different people.
    Try them out and see if you get a product that works for you.

If you still don't have any success go and see your GP, and you can get some natural vitamins that will help with your skin.

And don't worry about those scars, they do fade with time.

Cheers
    Amy

**Nikki** Female

Hello Anthony. I can answer your thread title 'How can I get rid of my acne for good?'
    The straight answer is there is no miracle cure otherwise we wouldn't have this issue. The best advice I can offer (being British I probably use different brands to you) is to look back through this category to see what previous questions have been asked and answers given. Take note of ingredients to avoid and best techniques (for example how often to use) and see if you can adapt your current routine.
    When you try a new product you ideally want to use it for a few weeks unless you have any sort of reaction to it in which case you should stop immediately. Don't mistake something working for side effects. Products often bring to the surface any underlying dirt so could cause a small flare up of acne before you see results.

Protecting against acne isnt just about what you put on your skin but also into your body. The definite no is for fried food, chocolate and all the stuff that tastes good but you know is bad for you.
    Increase your fruit and veg intake (ideally buying in season items for better benefits), eat a well balanced diet (there is a reason you need food from all categories unlike diets that cut out one type) and flush your body out with adequate water. I say adequate as there is a recommended daily guide but you will need more with increased heat and exertion.

I hope this has helped somewhat and I say this as an acne sufferer so I understand how frustrating it can be. If I can be of further help feel free to ask.

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm going to stick with my current regimen for now, as I have been noticing some minor improvements. My forehead is beginning to clear up, albeit slowly. Also, the blackheads on my nose are beginning to fade.

I will try to be more careful about my diet. Even though I enjoy fruits and vegetables, I don't eat them as often as I should. Another thing I'm working on is keeping my hands off my face, which has always been a problem for me.

One last question. Is it normal for my face to appear shiny all day after moisturizing? Is my face shiny because of the moisturizer itself or is the shininess caused by my oily skin? Thank you!

**Nikki** Female

There are many ways to consume fruit without actually eating it whole. I enjoy sweet and savoury together so would have something like chicken and pineapple. Also a handheld blender doesn't cost much and you can have fun making your own flavour smoothies. Either with crushed fruit and juice or use milk and yogurt.
    As for your shiny face I would say that is probably due to your skin. I dont know the moisturiser you use but you may want to consider changing it or add a good toner to your routine. As I no longer have oily skin although I have the occasional breakout, I cannot recommend anything but again looking back on here may help.
    Have you tired or thought about doing a peel? Using the right one and using it as directed could produce results for you. This wont work alone but could add to your routine in controlling your acne. Its called a peel but using low concentration would act more as an exfoliator.

**RX Skin Therapy** Female

Hello again! In regards to your last question, Anthony, you do want a healthy shine but you don't want to be “oily” all day. If the oils are causing you to have even occasional pimples you need to be using a wash and/or cream that controls your oils and decreases inflammation. However, be careful not to use products that dry your skin out and strip your oils completely. Products that strip the skin of their natural oils are harsh on the skin and can accelerate aging. If you have breakouts that cycle during the month, use a product such as a clarifying mask, the week before and week of your problem time to prevent your usual breakout.

Hope this helps!

Banned
    **Dora Collis** Female

Have healthy diet, avoid oily food drink plenty of water and apply good cream to avoid acne. Hope it will help!!!

**donna hill** Female

Avoid oily food and drink alot of water.. this will help alot!!

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful